Friday, August 22, 2008

Sweet, heartbreaking, tears..

There is no easy way to articulate this, except to be honest and blunt.

The transplant did not work; therefore, the PET scan from a month a go which showed two small nodes (possible lymphoma), has spread in my chest. And we are now looking at a fast spreading disease.

This will be the second relapse, and third cancer I will have to deal with. And, on every level that I believe that I still have some fight in me, I do believe I need to be realistic in this instance.

This week I am hoping to have radiology appointments set up in Philly, Boston, and NY (Columbia), to decide what specific form of radiation I should receive to slow the disease down. Radiation will last from five to six weeks. Which, will have some not so fun side effects. But at this point, we need to get the disease more under control.

In the 1960's Radiation was primarily used as a curative form of treatment for Hodgkin's. With individuals relapsing later with second cancers. It is possible, that radiation, could do the 'trick,' if it's done the right way. Or at least put me into a year or two remission. But this is all variable to how my body and my disease react. I have also had a friend who during radiation, their cancer has spread during this treatment. So, it is very difficult to 'hold on to hope,' at this point.

At this point, I do not see myself at an optimist or a pessimist, I am, what I am. I have always worked better, when I have all of the information in front of me. To make decisions. That being said, I need to know where I will be receiving radiology, what type, and where the best technology is to provide me with this care. Every detail, at this point, matters.

If I decided against any type of treatment, my time here, with all of you would be close to seven or eight months tops. That is not to sound harsh, or hurtful, it is just the reality of the matter.

With radiation, I could possibly hold on to a remission for a year or two. I'm not the kind of person to hold on to expiration dates, I've decided to not let that affect me in my decision making. What will be more of a factor is quality verst quantity.

I would rather a shorter life, filled, with good quality and less treatments.
Then a longer one, in which I was on more heavy chemotherapy (which would not present a cure), drugs, and deprived of seeing friends, family, and traveling.

I hope, all of you, can somehow be okay with the decisions I've already confirmed in my mind. And know, that I care deeply, for each and every one of you. Who you are. How you've come to me, in my life -- if it has been through meeting in Doylestown, girls in Boston, coworkers in Florida, Professors from Wheelock or Lesley, you, yourself or family member being a cancer warrior. You have touched me, in some way, some how. And I have drawn my strength, from all of you.

The bottom line is, very very bad things, can happen to exceptional people. I have watched it happen. I have seen, a few of the most beautiful souls, leave this earth, way too early. And that is not to say, I'm headed anywhere right this second. That is just to say, me and all of you -- have fought, tooth and nail for a cure. And realistically, it probably will not happen. So we have to now mold our thinking into not hoping for a cure. But hoping, to do what I want or need to do, with the time I have left. Whatever time that may be.

I, again, apologize for writing such heartbreaking news. It is never my intention to hurt or cause pain on anyone through this process. But, I at least owe all of you that -- the truth, the honesty, and to prepare all of you for what is in store.

I will pick back up on updating more often, to inform you on news of radiation, the location, technology, and if or what we would be looking at if i choose to do a clinical trial later on.

Why do the fingers 
  Of the little once beautiful lady 
  (sitting sewing at an open window 
  this fine morning) fly instead of dancing?  
  Are they possibly afraid 
  That life is running away 
  From them (I wonder) or 
  Isn't she aware that 
  Life (who never grows old) is 
  Always beautiful and that 
  Nobody beautiful ever hurries?

- e.e. cummings
<3 B

13 comments:

Veronica said...

:(..........<3

laulausmamma said...

Bekah dear...the heartbreak and sadness are overwhelming for us all. We are beside you with whatever decisions you make that you feel are the right ones for you. Feel our love and continue to lean on us for the extra strength you'll need to continue this battle. Loving ((HUGS)) as always.
Susan

Brandy said...

“There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love.” Washington Irving

Enjoy every day you have, be it 300 or 10,000....we all will die Bekah but not all of us will touch the lives of people like you have. I'm here for whatever you need.

Anonymous said...

You amaze many with your words. Such strength and courage for one so young.

Love to you.

Anonymous said...

Bekah- thoughts, prayers and blessings are all I have

Val

Anonymous said...

Bekah,
I am so sorry.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Can't say much my heart broke for you last night when I read this news the forum and my tears fell. But my hope remains. You are beautiful.

Duane said...

Lovely Bekah,

As always, you're so eloquent and your sincerity is so palpable. Your maturity and grace pulsate from your words.

As someone who has gone down this same road, I know there's a lot to think about going forward. I so wish you didn't have to deal w/ this shit again, but there is hope. Who would have known that I would have made a year after my allo and I did! Others have too. So, yes, there is hope. :)

If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sending love and positive vibes. :)

Anonymous said...

Dammit! Whatever you choose to do and however you choose to deal with it, all of your fans are here to support you Bekah. Nothing is certain and everything is possible...

B

Anonymous said...

bekah, folowing yuor story, yuor lite. prayng fr yuo, yuor famly, yuor jorney, yuor desisn makng.
snding enrjy frm my cyrcl to yuors. truth

Paula said...

Dear Bekah,

I am thinking about you and wishing you strength on top of that which you already have. I have faith and hope that there are more options out there for you, and that one of them will do the trick that we are all waiting for.

much love,
P

Alt said...

Hello,

I don't know you, I'm just a Spanish girl who, jumping from blog to blog, ended up in yours.

All I want to say is how I admire you and how brave you are to share all this emotions and all this fight.

I wish you the best luck ever. Keep on fighting!!!

Love,

Sonia.

Anonymous said...

I can't stand it. I don't know what to say is I'm sorry. You hang in there, hon. I'm praying for you and sending you good energies.